Last night, we got hit with quite a storm!!!
To be fair, we'd been warned that it was coming, but there's only so much you can do. I woke up all night long to the noisey rain, thinking that Matt was supposed to go on a ruck march this morning!! Last night when we were talking about the approaching storm, he said that maybe it'll be cancelled because of the rain. So when he left this morning, I told him "good luck", went back to sleep, and then woke up to thunder and lightning!!! We hardly EVER get thunder & lightning here in Hawaii! I think this is only the 2nd time in almost 3 years that I've seen it here. First, I was worried about Matt. Then I heard the dog come in my room, which means someone let her out downstairs. He was home. It was cancelled.
To be fair, we'd been warned that it was coming, but there's only so much you can do. I woke up all night long to the noisey rain, thinking that Matt was supposed to go on a ruck march this morning!! Last night when we were talking about the approaching storm, he said that maybe it'll be cancelled because of the rain. So when he left this morning, I told him "good luck", went back to sleep, and then woke up to thunder and lightning!!! We hardly EVER get thunder & lightning here in Hawaii! I think this is only the 2nd time in almost 3 years that I've seen it here. First, I was worried about Matt. Then I heard the dog come in my room, which means someone let her out downstairs. He was home. It was cancelled.
SCHOOL was also cancelled, but the kids were already up and dressed, so Kenzie and I went out to scope out the damages. It was still raining really hard and there was a steady stream running down the road. It was up to Kenzie's shins:
Then I went to see what the back yard looked like, and saw that we had a brand new river:





Then I walked back around to the front of the house to see what happened to the other houses in the neighborhood. By then the wind had really picked up and it was raining sideways.

Here's a little video of the wind:
Matt said the main road was flooded, so I walked to the end of the street to see. There were lots of sirens:
Come to find out on a later walk with the girls, that a little circle of houses got FLOODED!
There were housing vans everywhere, and people packing their stuff into their cars. That would suck!!!

Then we needed to go pick up Matt's truck that was still on Wheeler (he got a ride home in the morning). It was nuts. There were stalled/abandoned vehicles all along the side of the road, as we drove down a small river. Garbage and rocks everywhere. And then we saw this:
That woulda been scarey! I bet that guy was driving blindly this morning, just like everyone else, and then went into that big ditch! Yikes!
Then I went to see what the back yard looked like, and saw that we had a brand new river:
Then I walked back around to the front of the house to see what happened to the other houses in the neighborhood. By then the wind had really picked up and it was raining sideways.
Here's a little video of the wind:
Matt said the main road was flooded, so I walked to the end of the street to see. There were lots of sirens:
There were housing vans everywhere, and people packing their stuff into their cars. That would suck!!!
Then we needed to go pick up Matt's truck that was still on Wheeler (he got a ride home in the morning). It was nuts. There were stalled/abandoned vehicles all along the side of the road, as we drove down a small river. Garbage and rocks everywhere. And then we saw this:
That woulda been scarey! I bet that guy was driving blindly this morning, just like everyone else, and then went into that big ditch! Yikes!After we got back, the girls and I went on a little walk to take pictures of the damages. There wasn't much to take pictures of. Just flooded land:

And the people on our corner got their nice little gazebo that they sit in all the time TRASHED!
No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't keep Nan under the umbrella. She was bound and determined to get soaked, which she did:
As of right this second, it has stopped raining, and the sun is even trying to peek through. But don't let that fool you... round TWO is on it's way tonight!!
Comments