Fire in the Bowl!


As some of you know, our 10th anniversary is coming up on August 27th, so right about now is the time when we start batting around the question "What do you want for our anniversary?"
Usually I reply with, "Nothing." but this year, it hit me!!
I WANT A FIRE PIT FOR OUR BACK YARD!
Great idea! Inexpensive and perfect!
So we looked online and Lowes and Home Depot, and saw a few that we liked. So this morning we set out on our quest for a new fire pit. Easier said than done....
First of all, NO ONE knew what we were talking about. And when we got someone who DID know what we were talking about, they said that they were all out. It's a "seasonal item". How can ANYTHING be "seasonal" in Hawaii?? I haven't seen any "seasons" other than Summer.

We went to Lowes, then Home Depot, then Wal Mart, called City Mill, and finally ended up at the PX. Still no luck. So we bought a bike pump and some ice cream bars and went out into the food court to eat them. While we were eating our ice cream, one of my old friends from 3rd Ward, Jenny A., came walking up to me with an ice cream cake in her hands!! My imagination was going wild! I LOVE Ice Cream cakes!!! She explained to me that they were celebrating her daughter's birthday, and that they had this left over cake that was going to melt because they were going to the movie. So I willingly volunteered to take it home to my freezer to be eaten later :o) It was my lucky day!!!

So I was telling Jenny about our search for this stupid fire bowl that is nowhere to be found, and she suggested that we go to the NEX! Of course!! The NEX has it's own separate Garden Center building!! Why didn't WE think of that??! So we took the ice cream cake home, and then drove all the way down to the NEX (Pearl Harbor!). We walked in, and THERE IT WAS!!! There was a bunch of them! So I picked the one I liked best, and asked the nearest lady where I could find them to purchase. She explained that they didn't have all of them in stock, but that she'd show me where they were. Luckily, she had the one I wanted in stock. So we bought it!!

Here's the hardest fire pit to find in the world!:

Finding the fire pit was our FIRST obstacle......
Next we had to figure out how to get the WOOD to burn! Luckily, my mountain man husband always has his eye out for downed wood. So when we got home, he took his little truck down to a little wooded area across the street from Hale Kula Elementary, and took out his saw and brought home a bunch of wood to burn! Apparently the wood was a lot harder to cut than he thought. He says he thinks it's eucalyptus wood ? ? ?

Anywho... he got the wood, and we started our fire!!!

Here we all are, gathered around the camp fire:

Even Zoey got to join us until she got out of the fence and ran away,
and I took her inside and put her in her kennel in Matthew's room
so we wouldn't have to hear her cry... Sorry Zo...

And you can't have a campfire without having S'MORES!!!

Here's Natalie enjoying her roasted marshmallow:
Nathan roasting his marshmallow:

It was a lot of fun!

Eventually the kids went to bed, the fire burned down, and we were left with nothing but glowing red embers that looked like a giant goldfish cracker!

Here's what the red embers look like in flash mode:

"Grizzly Adams DID have a beard..."

Here's a random video of Matt and I outside together, and Matt is complaining about how he hates neighbors because someone was blasting their music:



And that's how we got our fire pit!

Comments