Hawaii Sleeping Grass

When I first got here to the island, Matt kept telling me about this grass that moved. And I'd been there for a whole month and had never seen anything like it. He kept insisting that it was everywhere, so one day while we were on a walk, he was on the look out for it.
And, sure enough! IT MOVES!

From that moment on, I have to stop every time I see it, and touch it.
And it really IS everywhere.

Here's a video of me touching the sleeping grass


It's Hawaii Sleeping Grass... also known as:
Mimosa Pudica (it's real name)
Sensitive Plant
Humble Plant
Shameplant
Prayer Plant
and
Touch-me-not

It is also sold as an educational product and novelty gift sometimes under the trademark name the 'Tickle Me Plant"

Thank you Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimosa_pudica


Here's what Wikipedia says why it moves:
The movement is caused by "a rapid loss of pressure in strategically situated cells that cause the leaves to droop right before one’s eyes!
My friend Sarah has an abundance of it by her front door, so when I took her home today, I couldn't control myself. I HAD TO TOUCH IT!



So, there ya go.
Hawaiian Sleeping Grass

Comments

Jeanelle said…
me and Jana had "sensitive plants" growing up!!! And where are the cupcake pop pictures?????????
Mark said…
I love these TickleMe Plants!
Thanks for the post ordered a TickleMe Plant Greenhouse from www.ticklemeplant.com incase other bloggers want their own pet!
Anonymous said…
My 7 year daughter and my 10 year play a game with the TickleMe Plant.
Who ever can make the most leaves fold just by tickling ione leaf is the winner. They never get tired of the TickleMe plant. I got the TickleMe Plant seeds from another great educational company
http://scientificsonline.com/Default.asp?bhcd2=1209343279
Anonymous said…
I wanna live in a place where the plants do crazy things!!!!!
Becky said…
I love that stuff! The kids showed it to me last summer. Natalie really has an eye for finding it. What cool stuff!
Ashley said…
We have some in our current yard, but none in the new yard...I will miss this ghetto house!