We had the privilege this week of having Grandma & Grandpa visit us from Washington!
They flew in on Sunday night (March 30). As we do with all of our visitors to the island, we greeted them with a Hawaiian Lei.
The next day we kept the kids out of school to go to the PCC (Polynesian Culture Center). Since Matt and I love it at the PCC so much, we bought annual passes, so that we can go back as a family any time! We are very excited about that.
We had a lot of fun going to the different villages and seeing their presentations. But, as always, the night show was the highlight of the night!
Here's a VIDEO of them shakin it!
Nathan was SO excited to see the "fire dancers"! But he fell asleep right before the intermission.Here's the Nan during intermission
My cute Matty
They always save the best for last!
Samoa was last with the fire knife dancer!
(yes, we woke Nathan up, and he was excited)
The end of the show:
The kids got to take their picture with the fire dancer after the show:
It was great! The next day, we set out on an adventure to climb DIAMOND HEAD Crater!! It wasn't easy, but WE DID IT!
Here we are about halfway there.....
(you can see the winding trail behind us)
Awwww.... A Kodak moment:
After those stairs, we had to climb a million MORE stairs, and then climb up a spiral staircase inside an old bunker:
Almost to the top!
Nice Lighthouse
"VIIIIIICTORY.... VIIIIIIICTORY!"
We made it to the very TOP!
And look at our pretty view!
It was definitely worth it!
Dick & Becky made it too!
Awwww.... another Kodak moment:
It was every one's first time climbing Diamond Head. And probably our LAST! That was haaaaaard work!
That evening, we went to the Paradise Cove Luau. After we got our table, we wandered around looking at the different activities they had going on before dinner.
But FIRST, I wanted a tattoo from the
BROWN MAN WITH TATTOOS IN A GRASS SKIRT!!!!
Well... no grass skirt but STILL!
That's why I love Hawaii so much!
They're EVERYWHERE!
There's even one BEHIND me!!!
This is a dork face picture of me, but I still got a sweet sweet tat!
And Becky needed one too....
She got a Honu (turtle)!
We even talked Dick & Matt into getting one!
Here they are with their 'family' tribal tattoos:
After that, the guys tried their hand at spear throwing:
Dick's actually stuck in the hay, but Matt's bounced off :o(
After that, we went to see the Hukialu!!!
Sing with me!
"oh we're goiiiiiiiiing to a hukilau... a huki-huki-huki-huki hukilau...."
I forgot what "hukilau" means in Hawaiian.....
come on! Help me out, my local braddahs & sistahs!
and here's Becky and I with our newly pedicured toes in the sand:
ANYwho... after that they unveiled the pig (pua) out of the underground oven (imu)
I didn't take a picture of it, but here's a nice picture instead:
Then came the always gorgeous Hawaiian Sunset!
Matt & Me
Becky & Dick
Matt's real excited at the luau
The next day we went to the Swap Meet at the Aloha Stadium. I think Dick and Becky had more fun that I'd anticipated them to have. It took us like an hour to get past the first 20 feet. But it was fun.
Here's me being bored and having fun with a shirt:
This is for Christa:
I got a shirt at the swap meet that says HAOLE on it!!!!!!!!
you need one too and we can walk around as Haoles in Honolulu!! LOLOL!
More boredom:
a cookie monster backpack that I wanted to buy for Tashina
Friday was Dick & Becky's last day here, and we kept the kids out of school, again, and spent it at the beach. Or... my favorite, THE HALE KOA!
Here's the kids looking at the Koi Fish
I love Nan's little bunz in this picture!
Matt, Dick, Becky, Kenzie, Nathan, & Natalie all went to the beach, while Matthew and I stayed back at the pool.
Here's Scuba Steve:
We had a really fun visit, and we were sad to see them go!
Comments