Tuesday, November 27th

Home again, home again, jiggity jig!! It's so nice to be home!! We woke up today on the Big Island!! We checked out of our room around 9:00am and then drove down the Chain of Craters Rd. to the Petroglyphs. Petroglyphs are carvings in the lava rock made by ancient Hawaiians. In order to actually SEE the petroglyphs, you have to hike over the lava for about .7 miles. So we pull up, park, get out, and it starts POURING! Not raining, but pouring!! I look at Matt, I don't wanna get wet, and he says, "Let's wait it out." So we chill in the car for a few minutes, and the rain slows down. Then it's a sprinkle. Matt gets out, looks at the sky, and says "Let's go." I said, "Let's go?" He says, "We either go now, or we don't go." I guess with his inner Indian skills he could tell by the wind and clouds that it's wasn't going to rain anytime soon. So we went. And his inner Indian was right. It didn't rain on us. We walked in (still a little sore from the insane hike on Sunday), saw the petroglyphs, and walked back to the car.

Patiently waiting for the rain to subside

Our last hike!


You know me.... i always gotta be doing something crazy. These were random glasses that I found by the sign post. Matt told me I "disrespected the glasses". I said, "you can't disrespect GLASSES!!" LOL!




PETROGLYPHS






Our plane wasn't scheduled to leave until 4:10, and we were done with the Petroglyphs around 10:00, so we had some time to kill. So we drove down to Hilo, BARELY scraping by on gas, because Matt didn't want to put more than we had to into the rental car. We go to Wal Mart, buy some souvenir candy leis for the kids, eat lunch at McDonalds, and then turned in the rental car and went to the airport 3 hours early.

Our plane boarded at 3:40, but once we got on the plane, there was a mechanical malfunction and we ended up sitting on the plane for about an hour!!! Then we finally left. The flight from the Big Island to O'ahu is super short! The plane hardly has time to get up to cruising altitude before we start our descent!!

Aaron Hite was nice enough to pick Matt and I up outside of our baggage claim, and then we were on our way home, drilling Aaron on how the kids acted when we were gone. Then we finally arrived at home. The kids ran out onto the sidewalk to give us our hugs! It was great to see them again! I missed their little faces! They were SO happy to get their candy leis! It just goes to show that it's not the price of the gift that matters.

All in all, we had a WONDERFUL trip. I don't regret going at all, and I recommend it to anyone. Now I'd like to visit some of the other beautiful Hawaiian islands. We are truly blessed to live in such a beautiful place!!

Comments