Girls Camp was so much fun this year that I don't even wanna blog it cuz I don't even know where to start! First of all, this was my first year at Girl's Camp since I was a Young Women myself. I was SO excited to go! So this year I got to go as a Unit Mom, which means I just go everywhere the girls go, but let them do all of the work. Yes, one of the girls was MY leader.
So we got to camp Malekahana (the same place we went camping as a family in January) around noon and started setting up camp. Our first activity snuck up on us, and we had to skiddattle out of there before we were completely set up because we had to get going on our Service Scavenger hunt.
Our first clues referred to a couple of the Young Women Values, and had us looking up scriptures and writing in our journals
After a few more clues, we were instructed to get into our groups and get into a car. So our group all piled into Sis. Nakahara's car to start on our Service Scavenger Hunt.
Our first stop was a at a preschool in Kahuku. We all went in and picked out a random kid to color with or read books to. It was fun to watch how excited some of the girls were to work with the children. It made me miss mine a little.
At the preschool, we got our next clue, which brought us to a retirement home in Laie. It was fun talking with all of the elderly people and see their faces light up when the young women sat down next to them to talk. I, personally, joined the karaoke group and sang 'Close To You' by the Carpenters. I had a blast.
After the Retirement home, we all split up and went our separate ways. We ended up at Tashina's grandpa's house, Mr. Edwin Soliai, who is a widower. His wife just died in January. It turns out that each group went to a widow or widower's house. They didn't know we were coming, but we were all accepted into their homes with open arms. I loved grandpa! He was so sweet. He's Samoan. Here's a picture of our group with grandpa Soliai.
After our visit with Bro. Soliai, our next clue led us to the cemetery in Laie. I had an overwhelming feeling while I was there! Here's what I wrote in my journal:
"When we visited the Laie cemetary, the grave site of Trevor I. N. Lee, born Feb. 26, 1983 and died Aug. 23, 1984, really stood out to me. He was almost 1 1/2 when he died. How blessed I am to have four living children! Being in this cemetery gives me the feeling of 'takin my turn'. So many people have been born on this earth and then have died. And I feel privileged to be alive in this beautiful world. How wonderful it is to be alive! Death can come so quickly, like to little Trevor. His grave site was decorated with toys of all kinds. You can tell that he is missed. How wonderful it is that our Lord Jesus, our Savior, atoned for our sins and then was resurrected , as all of these people in this cemetery, will be one day. How WONDERFUL that Families are FOREVER!"
It really was wonderful to go to that cemetery to get that new appreciation for life.
After the cemetery, our next clue led us to the Laie Temple. It was so beautiful and peaceful there. And it was THEN that I realized what we had done that day. We didn't just stop at random places, they were all strategically planned by the genius Ku'uipo Laumatia. We started out at the preschool (the beginning of life), and then went to the retirement home, where they are nearing the end of their life. Then we went into the homes of widows and widowers and met people who have recently lost a loved one. After that we moved on to the cemetery where those people have already passed on. And the last stop was the Temple. Where it all takes place! Where families are sealed for TIME AND ALL ETERNITY! It was a wonderful Service Scavenger hunt, and I think we all felt the spirit very strong!
Ok... from this point on, I officially give up on uploading pictures. If you really wanna see pictures of our Girls Camp, they are all uploaded to this website:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=95f7yh2.9xlxvmu&x=0&y=-1pfmme&localeid=en_US
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=95f7yh2.9xlxvmu&x=0&y=-1pfmme&localeid=en_US
The next day of camp was a day full of fun! We went to the Kualoa Ranch, which YOU have seen before, but you just don't know it! Have you ever seen the movie Jurassic Park? Maye you've seen Pearl Harbor? Or 50 First Dates? or A Very Brady Movie? or my personal favorite, the tv show LOST!!! ALLLL of these, and many more, were filmed at the Kualoa Ranch!
We all split up into our groups again and participated in four different activities; The Movie Site Tour, Ocean Excursion, Horseback Riding, and the Jungle Expedition.
First up, the Movie Site Tour, then the Ocean Excursion, after that it was Horseback Riding, and last but not least, the very BUMPY Jungle Expedition.
It was a very fun day, and we were all pooped by the time we made it back to camp.
I think the 3rd day of camp was my favorite day, because it was the day that we just got to RELAX!!! And it was 'Peculiar Hair Day'. I tried a few different looks before I finally got it.
That morning we woke up extra early to see the sunrise. Unfortunately, it was a pretty cloudy, so here's what we got
It was still a beautiful Hawaiian sunrise, even though it was a little cloudy. And we caught a big crab on the beach while waiting for the sunrise.
As a part of our relaxing, Manu Laumatia (a masseur) came to camp to give us a massage after our rough couple of days. It was SO nice! What can be better than a massage on the beach in Hawaii by a brown man? ;o)
P.S. Any of you who live in Hawaii, or even visit Hawaii, NEED to go get a massage from Manu! He is always looking for new clients!
The last day was awesome too. We had a surprise activity planned by the amazing Ku'uipo Laumatia. We all started out at our campsite, blindfolded, guided by our leader. At one point, our leader had to let us go on our own, and we had to hold onto the rope (representing the iron rod) and get past obstacles like big trees, and people trying to tempt us to let go of the rope. My favorite tempter said, "Sister Ferguson! There are brown men with tattoos in grass skirts over here! Let go of the rope!" I was tempted to let go and go find those brown men in grass skirts with tattoos!!! But I knew I needed to hold tight to that rope if I was to stay on the right path. But thanks for the temptation Manu! LOL!
At the end of the rope, was all of our camp leaders, and a few others all singing hymns and welcoming us. There were letters hanging from trees. I looked for the one with my name on it and then found a quiet spot to read it. It was a heartfelt letter from my dear sweet Matty Poo. Of course, it made me cry! But it was such a spiritual experience.
Girls Camp was AWESOME and I hope I get to go again next year!!
Comments